February 11, 2008

Tropical display on the coldest day of the year

Yesterday it was minus 30 (celcius) with a fierce westerly wind. I really didn't want to go outside but Sunday is the day I spend with my parents. We went to see the the annual show put on by the Southern Ontario Orchid Society. What a fabulous show. The orchid displays are featured in a landscape setting spanning at least one of those long folding tables. Most had several levels covered in some kind of greenery , moss tumbling over rocks, little fountains trickling water and several varieties of orchids interspersed ranging in size from microscopic to small to large. There must have been about 50 different species represented (of the thousands that exist in the 'wild', so I'm told). It was actually exciting and there was a lot of 'look at that one; look over there' going on about every step we took. My dad had his fancy camera with him and my mother and I decided to pretended we didn't know him in case he did something illegal like touching something. In the end he was worried that his 250 shots would be trashy because the overhead spotlights interfered with the white balance and he hadn't yet mastered the over-ride function. As if I know what that means. But he loves to play with the pictures in Photoshop on the computer. I'm waiting for him to send me something that I can post here.

My wallet was nearly bankrupt to begin with but still I managed to buy 2 plants. One has not even sent out a stock for blooming which means I won't have any action this year. I was buldozed by the exhibitor into buying a plant since I had admired this one in her display . Do you think I can remember which one it was? I admired everything I saw. But I had to come away with some souvenir of this exceptional beauty. I also got a small phalenopsis (sp?) that's white with red splotches. One flower is in bloom and there are 5 buds yet to open. The larger more colourful ones were beyond my finances and it was a cash only situation. Wonder how long I can keep them alive (one of my cats is devilish where plants are concerned and knocks them off the window sill. I've positioned my toxic cactus beside it to frighten her off). All of these plants have been grown in a greenhouse setting so I don't have much hope given my cold window sill and lack of light. We shall see.

No comments: