September 20, 2009

Weekend of Classes


This weekend I attended some classes offered at the Canadian Bead Oasis Society. Carmi and I were together on Saturday for morning and afternoon sessions. Unfortunately, I just couldn't catch on to the Even and Odd peyote stitch. I was the only one in the class that was useless, much to my personal horror and I tried to cover up the mess I had made every time the teacher came by to help and she had a tremendous amount of patience. I wasn't much better in the afternoon for the Wire Wrap heart. The teacher had to help me a lot. But at least I finished the project and I'm keen to try more.
Today I went in for a chain maille class and it's been about 3 years since I last did this kind of a class. I quite enjoy the repetitive complex patterns - much like aran knit sweaters. But I now have terrible tremors because of my medication and for 2 hours I kept losing my grip of the smallest rings which are critical to making the links. Half my supply of silver rings was launched clear across the room. I should have finished the bracelet instead of making only 5 links. So I shall have to do a little each day before I forget the technique. It's called the 'vertebrae' and lies flat and fluid and is really gorgeous.
On the knitting front, I have completed the green ribbed sweater which Emily is modelling.

I've been commissioned to knit a black urban chic sweater for a chihuahua before the end of October so I must start that soon. I now seem to have several projects going on at the same time. It's fun and alleviates any boredom that may arise with one project or another. I could almost call myself a multitasker.

4 comments:

Susan Williamson said...

Beautiful job on the heart Sharon. But I'm with you on the peyote stitch. Tried it once and all I can say is: never again.
P.S. Cute doggie sweater, and yes, you are a multi-tasker.

nancy said...

brilliant!!
love the heart!
let me know when they are for sale.

Irene said...

I love your heart, and your doggy sweater.

Leslie Jane Moran said...

It was so nice to see you at the bead oasis. Thanks so much for the links. Talk about multitasking....you do it all!