October 25, 2008

A New Sewing Machine

I bought myself a gift last week - online so it was just delivered today.
I had a basic, simple sewing machine that managed to strip me of any confidence in the sewing department. Constantly the bobbin would jam up and I was forced to dismantle the whole business and start all over again. I couldn't figure out how to replace the shuttle cock (is that what it's called?) and I could have used 3 more hands. Now, I don't even sew so why I'm obsessed with having a decent machine is beyond me. Except that I might use it in mixed media ventures. This new machine is computerized. Meaning that you can dial in a stitch or other such functions too advanced for me to grasp at this point. It came with a dvd which is heads above the stupid stick diagrams that are supposed to clarify each point. I've just spent 2 hours trying to figure out how to use the needle threader. I didn't find it that 'easy' as the voice on the dvd insists. Of course I'm watching horror movies at the same time.
So far so good. No jamming of bobbins. I need to try it out more extensively so I shall try it on one of my fabric boxes. A good project as the temperature starts to fall and the rain and wind make walking outdoors most unpleasant.

No comments: