August 15, 2009

Just when you thought it was safe....

to make a small, simple, straightforward dog sweater, little road blocks appear at every turn. Firstly, Amber removed all the knitting from the needle the minute I got up from the sofa. She is determined not to share me with anything. I'm constantly pushing her aside as she inches closer and closer to my lap which is where all the knitting takes place. The next hurdle is huge!!! I'm supposed to steek. When I googled this word, the first suggestion was "how to make the perfect steak". And then, in visiting the knitting sites and YOUTUBE, I find that all the explanations are in a different orientation and I just don't get it. Steeking is a Norwegian term describing a method of knitting mainly fair isle projects which have hundreds of ends as the colour is changed. It involves casting off then casting on to form some kind of ridge and then cutting the knitting between the steeks. I don't think so...my biggest fear is dropping a stitch or breaking the yarn. They say it doesn't unravel but I'm not taking chances. In the dog sweater, skeeting is used for the arm holes. I shall have to figure out how to do the sleeves the old-fashioned way and that will be a challenge since I seem to need a blow by blow description of everything to direct all my moves.I can't think for myself. Needless to say, I ripped out all of this sweater work so that I can start again on a larger size-makes it easier to work large. Meanwhile I am working on a coat with cable spine and so far it is going well. At least it's keeping me away from the fridge and my usual evening binge.

I wanted so much to add a few pictures here from the book but, in reading the copyright info, I decided I couldn't afford a lawsuit and a huge fine. I have a model lined up for a photo as soon as the coat is complete This is a dog dreaming of the perfect outfit.

1 comment:

Leslie Jane Moran said...

I'm so glad I'm having "human" grandchildren to knit for. It sounds infinitely easier than knitting for animals. Can't you just knit them pull-overs and forget the leg holes??? I mean, they should be so lucky! You are soooo funny my friend! Can't wait to see these creations.