May 14, 2010

An old standby



While taking a break from fabric boxes, I tried to get back to making copper book necklaces. I hauled out my big bottle of liver of sulphur only to discover that the stinky solution had morphed into clear water. Now, how did that happen... I quickly headed downtown to Lacy's to pick up a jar of concentrated l of s which smelled suitably foul and I knew I had a winner. Very strong and requires a delicate touch when oxidizing the pieces of copper unless you want it pitch black.
Tomorrow is east coast rug hooking and yet another project will be in the works.

2 comments:

Leslie Jane Moran said...

We once did a project in folk art that required Liver of Sulphur and I never knew where to get it. You were to splash the L/S onto a copper plate that would then be clad onto a boat bottom, thereby making it look antiqued in a very blothcy way. We had to reproduce the look by splattering black paint on it. I must try that technique on copper sometime. Your books look amazing!

Susan Williamson said...

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous!!! Everything you do is grand, I must say.