Well, having advanced from the blow torch and toxic chemicals, I last night decided on making the dreaded holes in the copper plates. I have a screw hole maker but the holes are too small - I want to insert an eyelet in the hole. So I took out my dremel to widen the holes. This is a big deal for me since I'm terrified of the dremel. I had attached a flex shaft - incorrectly I might add since there was no action in the extension handle. Next I tried my new used low rpm drill from the Toronto Police auction. It has only screwdriver bits but it moves at a nice slow speed that doesn't spook me. I guess I should go to Canadian Tire to find a proper drill bit. Then I hauled out my clamp like hole maker. Seriously, I can barely lift it. I used it to enlarge the holes to 1/8 of an inch and a miracle was realized. Why didn't I use this thing in the first place. And there are close to 10 sizes of hole-makers. Of course changing the bit requires disassembly of the entire gizmo. Next I have to try and set the eyelets. Then I will be all set to make a copper book necklace.
4 days ago