February 21, 2009

Please help me I'm falling...

I can't believe how much time it's been since posting. Even doing nothing adds up. I had a really mean fall on the sidewalk while walking to the gym on Tuesday. I seem to average a fall of once a month. Last month I fell while exiting the bus by the rear door and into an ice drift. I can't believe that in the line up to get on the bus, not a person saw me. They all wanted to secure an empty seat. I kept trying to get up and kept slipping away from the sidewalk. Then the bus engine started and I was right in the line of the rear wheels which instilled enough terror in me that I managed to roll away into the snow/ice drift.

This time I seemed to have been launched into space and landed on both knees and then to slide forward on my face. My glasses are ruined, I had a good gash beside my eye and nose - good visual effect of bleeding unbeknownst to me. I think I broke a tooth because of the gritty feeling inside my mouth but I couldn't identify which tooth. I noticed that I didn't have my shoes on. Sure enough, my trustworthy Danskos had indeed launched me (Dansko makes the best clogs that are totally comfortable and great for walking - now I can add great for falling- They were about 4 feet away from me and I had to crawl over to get them. Several people passed by me and didn't offer to lend a hand. I did manage to get up on my own by some miracle. This fall is beyond me since there was no snow or ice at this point on the roads or sidewalks. I'm now terrified to go outside especially since the snow and ice started started again on Wednesday. Looks nice out - depends on the wind. Maybe I will go out for my usual summer walk, this time wearing boots.

3 comments:

Leslie Jane Moran said...

Oh Dear! This is quite awful. I do hope you are recovering from your latest fall, it's all so jarring and shocking to the system. Rest up, there is more snow in the forecast and good reason to stay put. Take care.

MarissaDW said...

Hope you feel better soon.

What's the world coming to, where no one came to your aide. It's really sad. Take care of yourself.

martha brown said...

What horrid people to not stop to help! grrr. I'm sending you a big cyber hug!